A Resource Guide to Successful Long Term Planning

Most people would prefer to stay in their own homes for as long as possible. However, homes that are easy to live in at age 50 can present problems later in life.

Some improvements can be inexpensive, like removing scatter rugs, making sure that smoke detectors are in working order, or replacing doorknobs. Bigger changes may include adding railings to outside steps, replacing floor coverings with slip-resistant carpet, or adding a bathroom to the ground floor of your home. Most home modifications will actually increase the value of your home.


"Making changes to our home throughout the years has made our lives a lot easier and safer. In addition, the value of our home has increased as a result."

Steps you can take now

� Start thinking about small changes to your home to keep it safe in the years ahead.

For help in locating a local contractor trained in counseling seniors about home modification, call the National Association of Home Builders at 1-800-368-5242.

Call your local Area Agency on Aging to ask about subsidized senior housing and home repair in your area. Look under �Aging� or �Human Services� in the local government blue pages of the phone book for the number. The Eldercare Locator (1-800-677-1116), a toll-free information line, can also give you this number.

Contact the U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD) for local contacts who can tell you about the FHA 203K program for home repairs for low income families at 1-888-466-3487 or www.hud.gov.

If you live in a rural area, call the local office of the U.S. Department of Agriculture about their Farmer�s Home Administration loans to low income borrowers for home improvements. The telephone number is in the government blue pages of the phone book.

Copyright � 2014, All Rights Reserved by Capstone Financial Assurance. All products, programs and services may not be available in your area. Nothing in this web site constitutes investment advice, nor offers to sell any security or any insurance product. See your tax advisor, financial consultant and attorney before making any decisions.